Th voices in my head
I have to say that the voices in my head have quite a variety of range and are exceptionally talented. I am not talking about the voices that help me decide what to do or not to do, or even the ones that make fun of peoples clothes when I am in a particularly judgmental mood. More so these are the voices that I use to differentiate between characters when I am reading a good piece of fiction or imagining what the couple outside the restaurant window is arguing about. This is not to be confused with that one dominate voice, some may call it a conscience, that is what I assume my voice to sound like and helps me have an audible representation of my thoughts.....and is my thoughts. Anyway, I know it isn't actually my voice because I am still shocked by what I sound like on voice-mails and recordings. Overall, however, I have thousands of voices at my disposal inside my head. There is the teen boy character that I use when reading Harry Potter which, coincidentally, is not British but sounds more like Mccully Culkin from Home Alone. There is the fun dad character that I use from time to time that sounds like Tim Allen from Home Improvement. I also have the dead-beat dad voice that sounds like the dad from Married with Children. Intelligent girls always seem to come off with a British accent in my head and the typical dumb blond just inserts a lot of uh's and um's into her sentences. And then those omnipotent characters, depending on the era and religion of the reading in question, either takes on the angry deity voice of James Earl Jones or the pleasant deity voice of Morgan Freeman. Like I said, the range of the voices in my head is amazing.
All this being brought up from this one statement that was brought up in conversation the other day. It was said that a certain person had taken a job because they had prayed for it and God had told them that it would be a good decision. Granted this is paraphrased, but you get the jest and I am sure have heard it before. Well with all my my quabbles with religion aside, I have never been able to understand this concept.
When I was a little kid I thought that these people were hearing that personal voice, or conscience, in their head and that was what people thought was God talking to them. To this day, however, I still am not sure what they mean. Is this some kind of Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones voice that wakes them up in the middle of the night to have a 15 dialogue? Or is this simply a manifestation of peoples reaction to a certain situation in which they actually make the decision on their own and manifest it as being "from God" in order to follow their decision blindly without worrying about the reprocutitions? I am not talking about the Frailty type "must kill the sinners" stuff here, but those decisions that could land you in a major predicament that one makes anyway but in this instance, with God leading them, they are able to follow it without the anxiety that the rest of us face. What is this voice that they hear and is it any different from the many voices that I hear inside my head or simply their mechanism to convince themselves that they are doing the right thing?





4 comments:
I have voices in my head too! The most prominent ones are the debate voices. They appear on an almost daily basis. It's basically two slightly altered versions of my regular voice, but I use them when trying to figure out where I stand on an issue. They argue and argue, back and forth, spitting out points and rebuttals, until one side wins the argument. Then that's the side I take if that decision/argument were to ever come up in the real world.
I really don't like to listen to my voice on playback recordings though... it never sounds as cool as I think I sound in my head.
And I have no clue what a deity sounds like. I don't have such a divine voice in my head... if I did though I'd hope it sounds like Morgan Freeman. I wish he'll read me a bedtime story one day
I've always had a voice that sounds much like my own that dictates my own life to me in my head in third person. Kind of like reading a biography of myself. Weird, right? I've always thought that was a clue that I needed to be writing.
I have separate voices too for when I read books. James Earl Jones and Morgan Freeman are good stock voices to keep around. I wish I could think of some of the funny ones in my head right now, but they only seem to pop up when I'm reading.
Honestly, I think people who say God told them to do something are full of crap -- and that's coming from someone who believes firmly in God. I think it probably is their own conscience or desire telling them what they want to do, and they just, I guess, mistake it for a message from God. I like to believe that God helps to get me where I need to be, but he's not going to flat out tell me "this is what you should be doing." That's too easy.
This is off topic but your wife considers herself to be fairly intelligent and she doesn't have a British accent. In fact, it's actually pretty southern with a touch of east TN twang. Hmmmmmm... Love ya!
Mental - Glad we are on the same page. My voices don't usually argue though, maybe you should get that checked out....haha.
Modern Gal - Knew you were religious and was glad to get your prospective on this one. I have always seen it as the easy way out as well.
Wife - Even your voice does have a slight British accent on playback in my head. And you are very intelligent.
Post a Comment