Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Saturday at the market

This weekends farmer's market was amazing. First of all we got up at 7 to go which is our preferred time to go....however our "woo-hoo" summer plans have left us very hung over and unable to attend until late if we attend at all. We got down there early this past Saturday though and even had my father-in-law with me. This man knows so many people and has a vast knowledge on veggies that comes in handy when you can't tell what people have to offer. It is amazing how happy food is making me. The fact that they still had fresh blueberries in season this weekend made me just as happy as that cold beer after a long day. Same feeling, much better for my body. We also found some really fresh artisan bread, bell peppers, fresh pears, new potatoes, butter beans, organic and grass fed ground beef, a whole chicken, hot Italian sausage, beef stick snacks, a cantaloupe....and maybe that is it. We had a great time drinking our market coffee and just walking around seeing what there was for the taking and just took our time. With me being the one that has made a few trips to the market by myself....having my wife and father-in-law with me was a great experience and much better than being there by myself.

The market has become one of my favorite and most comforting places here in the city. I am able to see a great plethora of fruits and veggies that you can't find in stores, talk to the farmer's that grew them, and even ask tips on what I should be doing with them. There is since of security knowing that my food comes from the Ripley farm or the North Mississippi farm and knowing that if I don't like the quality or the size for the price there is the possibility for haggling. There is also the people that talk to you in line, the vendors that say "hope to see you next week," the people that smile for no good reason, and even the shelter dogs whom we donate too on a regular basis. In a city that has so many issues and in a time in my life when everything seems so hectic and disconnected.....I am connected there. I belong in the market and I feel like I belong among my fellow marketers. I think this is one transition that I (and hopefully my wife) have made that I will not be able to undo. What will I do come October when the market goes on hiatus?

0 comments: