Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Project Numero Uno

So I wanted to give you a little insight into what my first class was like. It is one of those fundamental, or core, classes that all master's of anthropology students must take and is entitled "Applied Anthropology and Development." That being said, it is the killer class. The class centers around doing team work with a local community building initiative to engage the student in the community and partner them with individuals from other specialties to complete a common goal. The project I will be working on has to do with the University district and the revitalization of the Highland strip as the new entrance to the University. This project will include identifying what the community around this area is and how they identify themselves combined with how to make that identity known and welcoming. It will include numerous building plans, business proposals, and art projects to make the Highland strip the Cumberland strip of my Knoxville year. It should be interesting.


Gotta run....I have a 45 min drive to get to work....more later

1 comments:

The Modern Gal said...

Why is it all grad courses have unnecessarily vague and scary sounding names? I think that's why I'm scared of grad school. That and a thesis. I never want to write one.

But that project sounds like it could be a lot of fun, maybe because I love redevelopment efforts. Highland strip could use some love. So could the Cumberland one.