Another Day in the Life

Today I finished up the contract that I had been working on. I was doing some compliance curation on the human remains from a site in Arkansas that had been passed off to the University. After spending the better part of the morning printing (205 page report mind you) I rushed to campus in order to give my briefing. A 30 minute of nerve racking reciting of stats and figures, I finally got the verdict: THEY WERE IMPRESSED! As many of you have probably figured out already, I need my ego to be boosted on a regular basis. It always hasn't been this bad, but right now I need it. The meeting ended with the director giving me reassurance that through my work here he could say that he would find me funding one way or another as to not loose me as a student. Made me happy and definitely made my day. Now comes the waiting game on finding out whether or not I will land another contract with the museum or not.........lets hope for yes.
On the food note, I made a salad out of the mesculane greens from the market combined with kalamata olives, home made Italian croûtons, fetta cheese, and a garlic dressing. I was also able to fit in roasting some beets for salads for the rest of the week. Tonights dinner was a shrimp stir fry that included onion, green pepper, red pepper, kale, and bok choy and paired with brown rice. I also made a from-scratch peach cobbler that was amazing. I am again doing this to show that one can really eat without preservatives and from local and sustainable goods even if it isn't the majority of your ingredients. Making the small changes is what counts.
On another note, just started "What Happened" and am really enjoying the tone, writing, and perceived honesty that I have noticed so far. I am also getting a chance to start going through my vast expanse of podcasts and recently found the website Hulu(taking up a lot of my time). I am hoping that tomorrow will bring rehabbing my father-in-laws bicycle to ride around town, spending time reading at the coffee shop, and going to join a gym. Yes, I said it, I need to join a gym. Hopefully I can overcome my issues with the gym and gym culture as well as my anxiety and be able to get fit. We shall see.





4 comments:
1) Congrats on the report / presentation. It's a great feeling when you get to display your work and it's appreciated. Hope you get your funding too
2) Reading about your healthy eating habits makes me feel shitty! I eat like a 14 yr old school boy... snacks, snacks, snacks and juice! I know it's bad.
3) Hulu is the ish! I discovered it a couple months ago and it allows me to catch up on The Office all the time... since I always miss it when it actually airs. The Inter-webs once again saves the day!
Congrats! It's good to hear your work is so well-received.
P.S. I love that photo
That's awesome! If my adviser/boss doesn't make me re-do more than twenty-five things I consider it a ridiculously outrageously amazingly great success, so I COMPLETELY understand wanting a little praise... I think it's natural as a grad student because we're not exactly on the pay for performance plan so it's one of our only rewards... I don't think it's bad to want to be told you're doing a good job every once in awhile!
And good luck with the gym - it's all about finding a place where the culture isn't totally weird and stressful. And then you learn to love the place! :o)
Post a Comment