Nerdiness News
First off let me say that I am amazed at how easily I fall behind on reading blog posts. I mean wow, one day and I have 80+ to read, maybe I have over committed myself.
Last night brought a very interesting chain of events for me. First of all, still feeling like a grown up, my father in-law and I had a very intellectually stimulating conversation on the Scott McClellan book coming out and the state of our countries government and leadership. It was an amazing conversation and a realization of just how similar the two of us are. We have very different religious ideals yet when it comes to history, culture, politics, and many other "not always appropriate topics" we often agree. I then went to a local sports bar for a night of trivia and beer, a common Wednesday event, where I meet up with my wife and many of her co-workers. Granted I have become friends with many of these people, but last night was not our usual group and therefore left me being kind of in limbo. The place was packed due to the Celtics game and our table was one that was added that we had to crowd around and was very awkward. I was situated next to the new intern and his ex-roommate that I had never met before and where I couldn't hear any other conversation. It was not the best. Luckily one of the guys that we do hang out with a lot (very similar to my own personality) decided to have us sneak off to do shots. Good in the fact that I finally had something to talk to and made me feel like was actually part of the group. After that it was like we were attached at the hip for the rest of the night, weird I know. The even better part for me is that one of the guys that was there I really don't like and think is a very shady and a supper sketch ball. Well my new best friend felt the same way, and just like that we had something to talk about and make fun of for the rest of the night. Granted when he got drunk and started picking on the guy it did become interesting, but a little funny in my backward and mean portion of my personality. All in all though it was a great night, great for my wife to see that I can make connections, to see that my personality and confidence are coming back, and to see me happy. Man I love that woman.
Speaking of, I went out with her and so co-workers today and realized something. I am so proud of my wife. I am used to the academic setting were most settings require some level of professionalism, but mostly just making and maintaining connections for research and such. My wife works in the business community and seeing her dressed up, talking business with her new found lingo and vernacular, I was so impressed. The way that she carries herself and her confidence is so impressive to me and I am so incredibly proud of her. Wow, what an amazing woman.
Last, but not least, I got a real boost in ego yesterday. My department head sent me some photos of some burials from Ecuador where she does her summer research. Not only was I ecstatic that she asked me to this, but the next bit was even better. I asked her if she wanted me to pass it on to one of my contacts/experts and she responded with a stern NO and an explanation that stated that since I was "the only" osteologist in Memphis then my assessment was of quality for her. Really!!!! The "only" osteologist in Memphis!!! I have a new title that I will be telling everyone about. I mean I was already on cloud nine knowing that I was the only one working with the University and the museum, but the only one in Memphis just took me over the edge. It completely made up for my computer crashing and me loosing all of my work. What a great day!!!!





2 comments:
Glad to see you got some quality family time in :-)
I loved this post! It was just such a positive reinforcement of all the goo in your life. It's always great to recognize that from time to time, see we (or maybe just me) just become jaded and cynical and forget to take stock of all the great things we have around. Very uplifting post!
Post a Comment