Works in Progress #1
I wanted to work through some of the projects that I am working on so that I can better articulate it to people that ask. I thought, well what better place to do that than here to share it with the masses. So if you are not interested in the work of a bio-cultural anthropologist then feel free to skip this post.
Evaluating the Weight-loss surgery Model
I have become very interested in the concept of weight-loss surgery particularly from the secondary health implications that it can have on an individual. After doing some preliminary research it is apparent that there are many more social implications alive here that I did not recognize in the beginning. One aspect of our (me and my research partner) research will be looking out the biological stresses and complications posed by these surgeries. Examples of this would include the effects of rapid weight loss, vitamin deficiencies, and things like osteoporosis or osteopenia as a result. Another aspect of the project is going to be looking at the individual on the basis of their identity and power struggles within society as they go through the transition of loosing weight. These could be things that either complicate their progress or cause them to regain the weight they loose. Things we have noted so far is not being able to handle the new attention they receive from loosing weight, power struggles with significant others since they are no longer repressed socially due to their weight, and on the other end of the spectrum the strong empowerment that some individuals feel by having a sense of control over their lives. There are a number of issues that fall into this group, but it is fascinating. Another aspect of the research looks at the model of intervention by the clinic. Looking at the authoritative position of the surgeon, access to knowledge by the patient, and the power struggle that resides between physician and his support staff and between physician and his patient. The model that has been alluded to here is one of a deviant model where the patient is seen as a social deviant and is repressed through the workings of the weight loss procedures. Again, very interesting. Last, my research partner and I are hoping to design and implement some new methodology through the use of new technology. There is no reason that anthropology should not be capitalizing on the technology that is out there and we feel that we have the knowledge base to at least attempt this. The use of blogs, twitter, and bookmarking applications that will allow for real time communication, support, and dissemination of knowledge between physician, support staff, and patients that will allow for support and confirmation on a number of issues without having a face-to-face interaction which can be problematic for these individuals.
It is our goal through doing this project to understand the weight-loss issue through the lens of weight-loss surgery in hopes of building a list of best practices and more socially sensitive methodology. To understand the position of both the patient and physician and the problems they encounter working with each other and amongst themselves. Hopefully, we will be able to offer some suggestions to help with adherence and compliance to such a procedure and regimen.
So that is project one, more to come.





1 comments:
I've already talked to you about this, but I do want to reiterate that I think this is a great project.
Post a Comment