Sunday, March 8, 2009

Not sleepy...can't study

Every time that I think that my life isn't going to get any busier...it does. I have been out of my mind. I mean the, I am gonna freak out in a way that I don't even want the dogs to see, kind of freak out mega-session.

I am technically on "Spring Break" this week. The quotes are a strong hint on how I feel about that. I have so much assigned tests, readings, and grants that I am going out of my head. And yet I can't seem to focus...or get sleepy at beneficial times. I guess my recent study schedule has thrown my sleep schedule out of whack...I am tired right after lunch and then not again till 3 or 4 in the morning.

Anywho, I have this research project that I am trying to get off the ground, and if it pans out I will finally get to go to Africa. I have been asked to assist in a program evaluation in Uganda. I know I have written on this before, but this should give some more info. I will be working on evaluating the effectiveness of and HIV/AIDS education and mentoring program for school children. The program is based out of Kampala, Uganda and will be through a private clinic organization that has established this program. I have already started trying to write up grants and etc. for funding, and then the project component will begin. I will be in Uganda for 8 weeks, will spend the next year analyzing the data, will return again for a month for follow up....and then who knows. I am really looking forward to it but am a little overwhelmed as well. I am not sure yet, but there is a very good possibility that we have bitten off more than we can chew.

Other than that, I have gotten my first grad school assignment that made me want to vomit. I really did get nauseous. A take home exam consisting of 2 front and back pages. And the topic......History and Theory of Anthropology. Estimated hours to compete: 30. Weeks to complete: 2. Estimated Pages for completion: 30.
Yes, I want to "break-a-leg" just to get out of writing what could be deemed a very detailed dissertation.

Enough about that. I spent a great day with the wife and doggies today, my brother came to visit this weekend, and I got to blow off some steam with some colleagues. I needed all of that to prepare me for having to buckle down and pull a 70 hour week of.....just studying.

I am sure I will be writing more in order to procrastinate further.

1 comments:

The Modern Gal said...

I don't know that I could ever have the discipline to study as much as you do. When is the semester over?

And I'm thoroughly impressed by your Uganda assignment. It sounds amazing!