Thursday, March 12, 2009

Procrastination

Every time I find myself in a bind for time I end up wanting to add things to my list. It isn't so much as of wanting to procrastinate consciously, but some unconscious mechanism that is trying to sabotage my sanity and make things as difficult as possible. The good thing is I am realizing this now before it does too much more damage.

Like today for instance. I got a TON of sleep. With my constraints on time and the amount of work I have to do I probably should not have slept at all. Then, this morning, while printing out my paper to proof and writing my theory dissertation (a.k.a. mid-term take-home exam) I decided that I would like to redesign my blog page, find new people on twitter, find some great new material to post on, and look into all things techy. Luckily....I didn't. Instead I am writing it all down here so that I can procrastinate for a couple of minutes and then move on.


Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35752108@N00/118277922/

The paper I have written is an in-depth review of Sean B. Carroll's Endless Forms Most Beautiful. I will post a review of it in the upcoming days. It is a popular work that covers the paradigms of evolutionary thought and our current working paradigm of evo devo. While the concept might seem a bit abstract to some, the writing is very enjoyable and tangible. The arguments proposed within the book provide a framework that makes the "evolution in schools" and "creationism" argument obsolete and even a bit ridiculous. So, it is a great read for anyone that wants to have a better understanding on the current work of evolutionary research and our movement in evo devo. I will post more about that soon.

Ok, enough for now, back to work!!!

0 comments: