Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Lost in translation

I have been meaning to write on this topic for a while. Regardless, I think that many people will have some experience with what I am talking about.

So the translation seems to come up a lot when it comes professors from foreign countries that have English as their second language. Now this is not a critique on foreign professors or "race" at all, this is just a reflection of what is lost during translation. It just seems as if there is a mis-use of terminology or even/often a simple mispronunciation that takes away from the meaning of what is being said. Let me a do a vague yet informative "for instance."

I have a professor that I am taking a class from for the second time, and while I have noticed that there is some issue with pronunciation and terminology, I never really realized that these issues were actually taking away from the information being portrayed. I find myself attempting to figure out the word that was just said and what that person was actually trying to convey.

Needless to say it becomes very frustrating and I feel like I am losing a lot of information in the translation. For whatever reason that there is a rough translation, it really does effect what is being portrayed. The big problem for me is that I don't really have a solution for the problem. Do I ask for clarification? Do I ask for interpretation? It has always seemed disrespectful, for some reason, to ask the professor to stop because of mispronunciation.

0 comments: