Sunday, July 13, 2008

I am an Anthropologist!


Getting funding for my masters degree has led me to a new step in my life. Not know what the hell I am gonna do when it is all over with. I am not going to bore you with all of the details (just yet) because I am saying all this to lead to a recap of my super self-searching week. I have come to the realization that I am an anthropologist. In every situation, every day, in every way, I am an anthropologist. I can not do anything in my day without analyzing the possible reasons and outcomes for every look I get, everything that is said to me.....every single decision that is made in any aspect of my and other peoples day. I have to say that I do enjoy it, but it also becomes very daunting. This is how I can be confident in the fact that I am an anthropologist in every way.

For those of yall who watch my twitter updates you will know that I got into a situation this past week that I was not to proud of. And while I am not going to really go into the whole thing that much I did realize something about myself. I use what I learn about people against them when I get into arguments with them. Well not always arguments, but when I feel attacked personally or professionally I take what things I know about that person's personality, pet peeves, idiosyncrasies, and opinions and use them against them in order to get revenge. It isn't so much that I don't have an argument, but that I am able to couple that with what I know will bother them the most in order to feel like I am victorious in the battle. I hurt them to make sure that I don't feel like they get the better of me in an argument. It isn't right, but I don't know how not to do it. Granted, this it not something that happens very often, yet when it does I leave feeling guilty and proud at the same time. Proud that I had the upper hand but guilty in that I said things in a way that I know would bother them the most. Regardless, this time it just made things worse and looking back on it I do feel bad for pushing all the right buttons but realize that I also took all the negative feelings and times that I had held back in order to be the bigger person, gathered them up, and threw all the punches in one very loud and angry punch.

I feel better and confident at the same time (if that can even make sense). That was my first realization, the second one is that when I am in a situation where I feel attacked personally and when someone makes threats against me and my wife (especially my wife) I toss all logic out the window. When my back is against the wall in a situation when one should act mature and walk away, I don't. I don't walk away from a situation when I know how it is going to turn out. That anger that I subside and thought that I could control does have its limits to being boxed in and now I know why it happens. I have never felt so in control of that anger that I didn't want to show in my life and all in all have learned from the situation. I have also learned that I still have a lot to learn....about myself!

So it is true that the animal instincts are innate, that they can't be fully suppressed, and a person that thinks he knows people, reason, and control can lose it when his back is against the wall.....wow....I am an anthropologist and am only human.

3 comments:

M360 said...

I've done that too... where you mentally accumulate all the right (wrong) things to say to a person and unleash it in one sweeping blow during an argument... and it does feel bad yet great at the same time. i guess it's maybe a human thing to do. but the mere fact that you are aware of it, and learning from it (as i am as well) has to be a step in the right direction right?! i hope so... for both our sake

The Modern Gal said...

You should watch the Modern Beau and his sister argue. They know exactly what buttons to push and it's interesting to watch the ensuing train wreck. I think most smart people try to use everything they've got mentally (and sometimes physically) when they get in an argument with someone else. I agree with 360, that being aware of yourself doing it makes it easier to change, if that's what you want to do.

Dustin James said...

Thanks you guys, it makes me feel much better knowing that I am not crazy.....or irrational. It is something that I am going to work on and am glad that I have been able to realize it. Thanks again.