Just another day

As the semester is pressing on, I am getting less tolerant of the classes that I am taking this semester. This morning: yoga. I have been taking yoga for about 8 months now, and while I really enjoy the practice and am beginning a great understanding of the practice, yet my instructor is a quack. I decided that I didn't want to pick up another class for this semester and since I only needed an additional 2 hours, I thought that I would take yoga. Granted, this instructor has been trained at the yoga institute in PA and his been doing yoga since the 70's, but our personalities just do not match up at all. On the other had, yoga is amazing. I started doing yoga at the beginning of last fall semester as a research project for a Complementary and Alternative Medicine class through the anthropology department. I was planning on showing how little yoga influenced individuals whom were skeptical about the practice. This didn't end up being the case though. I started doing it three times a week, then started going up to 4 classes a week and did it at home as many times as possible. That all stared in August, now I go to classes on campus twice a week, do yoga at home twice a week, and go to studio class twice a month......and I love it. I had a decrease in anxiety, depression, mood swings, stiffness, muscle aches, and increased flexibility and self esteem. I have to say that it has provided benefits that I never would have thought possible. It has also been a life changing experience through which I have become more aware and more in tune with my body while beginning to understand the benefits of looking to alternative healing methods before looking to biomedicine for help with illness. That is a whole different soap box to get on, and one that I will have to write on a little later. Cheers!





0 comments:
Post a Comment