"Green" Living


Tonight, after all of the wonderful Easter activities, I sat down with my in-laws and wonderful wife for what I thought was going to be an informative and insightful presentation on how to live a "green" life and how to buy products that are in themselves "green."
First of all I should say that I did enjoy my Easter. This is one of the first years that I didn't feel pressured into going to church and was able to celebrate Easter as I wished: not. I did accompany my wife to a get together at a local brunch with members of her family. There were 18 of us total, I believe, and much to my surprise I had a good time. Even further, I am not particularly a fan of buffets (people touching my food and having it sit out usually takes away all possibility of an appetite for me) yet it was very good food and I did enjoy myself.
Ok, back to my disappointment. I have become very conscience and very concerned of the way I contribute to the degradation of the environment and the exploitation of labor that may ensue as a result. Just to update, I did start my compost pile and indoor herb garden this weekend as a step in the right direction (pictures to follow). This combined with the current research that I am doing on sustainable agriculture and the impacts that buying local goods has on economy and health leaves me very passionate about this issue. To know that the people that are producing my food are often living on less than $10,000/year really upsets me and to know that they get penalized for trying to be more sustainable (can elaborate and probably will in the future) makes the issue of even more importance fore me. SO.....this issue of "being green" is one of great importance and since it is something that I am actively involved in at this point leaves me being very critical about different programs and initiatives.
Now, what you have been waiting for: My opinion. While the idea of promoting green living and green products/initiatives is a very worth while concept for this company to do, the way they went about it was completely backwards, "green-speaking." Come to find out, this green home was a new build in Hilton Head, and was the first house of not only a NEW subdivision but of a new town complete with movie theater, shops, and small amusement park within walking distance. What is wrong with this logic? Well......let us do something good for the environment by eliminating a natural habitat and destroying the environment through our new community of million dollar homes.....oh, but they will be "green" (or that is at least what we will tell everyone). Another aside would also be the fact that land acquisition in Hilton Head is also destructive in it's own right. The people of Hilton Head like to take land from the local farmers, products of the African diaspora and slave-displaced, who have worked the land for hundreds of years. Well since they have never officially acquired the land and don't have legal documentation, the land can be taken away, a gated community put in place, and these people lose access to not only there housing but also their income. To summarize, this wonderful "green project" has possibly displaced entire families and sent them into poverty, run thousands of species out of their home, and ruined natural environments that have sustained for thousands of years to put up million dollar homes.
To take it further, the explanation of what made the house "green" was laughable. Granted, there were solar panels for electricity and a rain water collection system for gardening and waste water. However, when it came to products there was little to be said. Explanations like, "Buying brand new products that you intend to re-use, like frames, makes them green" is just one of many examples. Others did have some credibility like buying local goods and re-using old furniture. But then came another explanation like "Well, a product that is durable makes it green no matter if it is new or not" coupled with the trucks loads of goods dropped off at the house that used how many gallons of gas?! The show was laughable and there was nothing missed by not seeing. For me, seeing this reiterated the fact that being "green" is a trend at the moment and all for the affluent portion of our society, anything that they can do and call it green at their dinner party, they will. I am content with the transitions that I am making in my life and the compost I have going in my backyard. Oh yeah, where was the compost pile at the "Green House?" Oh yeah, that would assume that they actually deal with their own garbage....might be a stretch. I am sad.





1 comments:
This is my biggest gripe with the current trend of green: buy this to be more green! The idea is to reduce consumption, not just change the way you consume!
And yeah, I hate buffets, but more because I can summon all the will power in the world and I'm still helpless to their power. But that one was pretty good and I didn't kill myself with it.
Post a Comment