Just Relax
I really suck at keeping up with blogging for some reason. I have taken a lot of time to do some leisure reading, travel a bit, and had a friend come stay with me for a week around new years. I have had an amazing break and some amazing experiences and have really enjoyed my break from everything including the computer.
Let me share a very nice revelation with you. If you feel stressed, anxious, and stretched in too many areas....but an automatic response on your e-mail and don't worry about getting back to it till you have to. It has been so good for me not to have to be on the computer all the time to ensure that I am responding to e-mails in a certain amount of time. I understand that this possibility is not available for everyone, but if you can then i really suggest it.
My second little tip on relaxing is....read. Let TIVO catch those shows that you aren't wanting to miss, turn on some soft music, and read a book. Not something heavy or cerebral (unless you like that like I do) but something light heated and easy to read...and relax. I have read David Sedaris' holiday short story collection and am now reading Descartes' Bones. It is a really good story about history, anthropology, science, and religion that has really captured my attention and been very enjoying.
Last, my friend being here was relaxing as well. It help me really realize that there are some friends that you are going to be able to connect with forever, and others are just not going to work out. My friend went to undergrad with me and then moved to Nashville. I usually only see him for a couple of hours when we meet for drinks as we stay over in the country music capital. This time though, he came and stayed 5 days with me and my wife and we got to know each other again. We still really have a lot in common and were able to have some really good, intellectual, and compelling conversations. We still have a lot in common and still are able to talk and experience things together without it being awkward and still getting along great. This was a great experience to have to reset me for the coming semester and I suggest it to anyone that hasn't talked to one of their most cherished friends in a while, ask them to come stay for a while and it will help you relax.
I am going to continue my relaxation now and head back to reading and will hopefully be able to keep up with my bloggy community.





0 comments:
Post a Comment